Sunday, November 09, 2008

Phishing x2

I often hear about email scams trying to get vital information from people and how some folks allow themselves to be duped. Until yesterday I don't think I'd ever received one of those emails. I considered posting it on the blog last night, but instead I permanently deleted the email and let it go.

Today I got a second copy, so I figured it was a second chance to throw it up here and allow everyone else to be amused. The italicized comments are my own.

************************************************
After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity we have determined
that you are eligible to receive a Stimulus Payment.

Really? Another stimulus plan? Somehow I never heard about this one...

Please submit the Stimulus Payment Online Form in order to process it.
A Stimulus Payment can be delayed for a variety of reasons.
For example submitting invalid records or applying after the deadline.

Naturally, I need to apply for this stimulus payment. And if I don't hurry up I might miss my chance! I didn't have to apply for the last one, the IRS just sent me a notification in the mail followed later by a check...

To access the form for your Stimulus Payment, please follow the next URL:

*** website deleted to protect the innocent ***

For security reasons, we will record your ip-address, the date and time.

Deliberate wrong inputs are criminally pursued and indicated.

This cracks me up! This is typical phishing protocol: remind people that doing things wrong will result in punishment. Seems to make the email more official, I guess.

Regards,
Internal Revenue Service

Copyright 2008, Internal Revenue Service U.S.A. All rights reserved.
************************************************

Do people really fall for this stuff? I mean, come on, the email came from fs242f@orange.fr! I was really curious how official the form would look, so I clicked on the link. I was very surprised to have Firefox tell me it was a scam and that I should stay away from the site. Good for Firefox! Hopefully it recognizes these things often, otherwise I suspect there may be people out there that would actually fall for such a scam.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recieved the same message. What worries me is this, they sent it to my work email. I ma curious as to how they got it? In anycase, I will nto respond. And I think .fr is european? Not really sure though.

Jason Yarnell said...

I'm pretty sure the .fr is for France.

Dusty said...

I got the same e-mail this week. Thanks for the heads up, and check out my new blog -- orange.fr.blospot.com

Intentional misspellings will be indicated and punished!