Monday, November 24, 2008

Monday Bullets

Every once in a while I think I'll just write a post with some random tidbits that wouldn't support a full blog post and aren't really related to each other. Today is one of those times! I thought about using the term "quick hits" but didn't want to step on Bill's toes.


  • Bitter Sweet Sunday - Yesterday was my last Sunday as interim pastor at Grant City Baptist Church. I am happy for them that they will have a full time pastor for the first time in over a year. However, I will miss having the opportunity to preach there and also to have a slight involvement in the lives of the church body. I would have preferred the title of interim preacher, as that's mostly what I did. Living 40 miles away and having a full time ministry at the BSU simply didn't allow any more than that.

    It was a great opportunity and I think I caught the briefest glimpse of what it might look like to be a pastor. I'm very content where I am now and believe wholeheartedly this is where God wants me to be, but I can see why some campus ministers leave collegiate work to be church pastors instead. I was genuinely surprised when I was presented with a gift by the church - a sweet Penn State hoodie and hat. It's the first Penn State clothing I've ever owned (except for my old hat) and I love it. I'm glad I will still have the opportunity to see those people again, there are some great folks out there and God is truly doing some cool things in their midst.



  • Doom and Gloom?! - I'm amazed at how much impact one football game has on the outlook of NFL prognosticators and fans. Today the Kansas City media is all over Herm, Carl, and how the plan to build through the draft has failed. Admittedly I'm a fan of Herm (although I don't support him blindly, I have my reasons) and therefore am likely much more patient and understanding than many fans. It's just hard for me to get too up or down about this season.

    First of all, a loss is a loss. Yesterday was a blowout, the recent ones have been close. The season is still all about evaluating the young talent, and that will continue to happen regardless of the losses or how bad they are. Miami is in the thick of the playoff hunt this year after winning one game last year, so it can be done. But with so many positions decimated by injuries, I just don't see how you can get too depressed about what's been happening lately. This team still needs two new starting linebackers, some help on the offensive and defensive lines, and more depth at cornerback/quarterback/running back. It's not going to happen overnight, and setbacks will happen. It's not the end of the world, people!


  • Sweet Technology - I've gotten a technological boost lately, and it's been making a big impact in my life. For once I don't feel inclined to say, "Technology is a tool of Satan." (Too often it tends to malfunction when I can least afford it to.) My new Blackjack II has been a great help in reminding me of appointments and being a portable notepad any time I need to jot down some thoughts, as well as being incredibly convenient when I need to text someone.

    My new laptop has freed me completely from my office, allowing me to easily work on campus or even from home. Plus, with its 3GB of RAM, I can boot it up and be ready to use Vista in about 45 seconds. Outstanding! Last December we finally got high speed internet, and just last week I added a wireless router so I can get online with lappy from anywhere in the house. It's actually allowing me to spend more time with Karin, as we can be in the same room and I can still get some things done, whether she's working in the kitchen or watching TV in the bedroom. Technology: it has redemptive value after all!


  • New Hobby Developing - if any of you have known me for long, then you're familiar with the toy/game of Attacktix. I have my own strategy website Master Attacktix that I ran for a while, and I even took a road trip all the way to Toledo, OH with three other guys in order to play in a tournament. Hasbro did a poor job of marketing the game and now it is dead... along with our interest in it.

    Well, a new game has come along that is ready to take its place. World of Warcraft Miniatures has a few of the same strategy elements of Attacktix without any of the fun spring-loaded attacks. It's a much more involved game and has a high level of strategery involved. I initially told Michael I wouldn't get into it, but at this point I've accepted the fact that I'm in.

    Attacktix gave me some great opportunities to connect with people I never would have otherwise, and I hope this game does the same thing. It's also been a lot of fun to play with Meghan. She really enjoys it and we've already played four games against each other. Once I have some disposable income I'll definitely be making a few purchases here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

-A Mr. Flummer Post

Topic one - God is awesome, and I wish I could of listened to you preach up there in Grant City. I just miss hearing you preach, period.

Topic two - As a fan of the Chiefs that can't ever watch them, it is easy for me to say, "oh well, they lost". But, how many times before the season started did we here, "It is a rebuilding stage, and we are going to lose a lot of games this year." So, how made can you really be?

Topic three - No Comment, just a deep evil devious laugh.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!