Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Divided We Stand?

I just got home from voting, and lately I've noticed a very disturbing trend. It seems that the political election is becoming a divisive issue for Christians. I don't know if this falls on both sides of the fence or not, but I've certainly seen it from the Republican side of things. To put it bluntly, some imply, suggest or come right out and state that a true Christian can only vote for John McCain. However, I know of committed believers that are also voting for Barack Obama.

I have my own opinion and obviously just cast my own ballot. I'm not looking to get into a political debate or discuss any of the issues or take a stand on which candidate I voted for. Rather I want to encourage believers to extend grace to one another, to truly love one another, and to recognize that our hope does not lie in any human government but in Jesus Christ! How ridiculous is it for us to tear one another down over this issue? That's a far cry from what Paul encourage in Ephesians 4:29

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

Also, it's reality that some of you voted for the guy that didn't win. In that case it will be easy to gripe, complain and bash the new President - and maybe the people that voted for him! Instead I want to encourage you to obey the word of God in 1 Timothy 2:1-3

"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth."


Don't let worldly things distract you from the Kingdom of God! Don't forget what really matters and what your life is really all about. Let me end with these words from Philippians 2:14-16

Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life.

1 comment:

Dusty said...

Word up! I caught myself getting all worked up when the results were rolling in (guess: was I excited or upset?). Then I realized I was wanting to trust the government more than I trust God, and also wanting to trust Americans more than I trust God. Both are pretty blatant forms of idolatry. Thanks for the needed perspective re-alignment.