Monday, December 29, 2008

That Took Forever

Wow. Just ... wow. All I can say is that the Chiefs season is finally over. 2008 ended up to be much messier than I (or anyone else) imagined. Today there are all kinds of interesting stories in the Star of what different players are saying, as well as a great season summary by Poz:

Before I say anything else, I want to share my respect for Herm one last time. He said, "You anticipate the best, but it didn’t turn out like we’d like for a lot of different reasons. I’m not going to state the reasons. I don’t need to do that." It's pretty clear to me that Herm will be gone, and I expect he's inclined to think the same. How can you not when you've lost 23 of the past 25 games?

So if there ever was a time to throw someone under the bus - this is it. A single poor play by a DB has twice cost us a game this year. Another was lost because Bowe couldn't hang on to an on-side kick - and the Chargers should send him something nice today. I know Herm is the coach, but it's still settled on the field. Good for him to take the high road when a lot of people wouldn't.

That being said, I will finally relent and say he's got to go. For me it's not just about Herm, it's about Gunther as well. They are both defensive guys and yet they just finished putting the worst defense on the field in team history. Are you kidding me?? Worse than what we watched in the Chiefs/Colts playoff game that featured zero punts? Yep. You've given them time to draft and develop some defensive talent and they finish the season by laying an egg against the Bengals. On top of that, they still don't have a clue how to use Derrick Johnson. Will he ever be a play maker?

The season was going to be judged on how well the young guys developed, and it just doesn't seem to be enough. If you haven't read Posnanski's article, you really should. When Herm challenged that play of Bowe's - I felt the same way. It was as if Herm knew we couldn't score with 1st and Goal from the 1. And he was right. We stink at short yardage, and that's got to be fixed. I imagine the spread experiment is over.

Herm has helped out the future of the team by giving playing time to a lot of young guys, especially in the secondary. Flowers, Carr, Leggett, Pollard and Page could be good for quite a while. But the defensive line is suspect and the linebackers stink. Herm also tied his future to a quarterback who has been injury-prone his entire football career and will likely never take another snap for the Chiefs. That blew up in his face big time.

I am thankful to be much less of a fanatic than I used to be, the losing doesn't bother me nearly as much as it used to. I feel bad for the people who post at the end of the Star's articles - there are some really unhappy folks in this world. It will be an interesting off season for the Chiefs, hopefully the franchise can only go up from here.

No comments: