Friday, October 17, 2008

Walk Out to What?

Every Friday at 11am Michael and I get together to play racquetball at the rec center at Northwest. Since I'm not a student, I have to pay $3 to play, but it's well worth it. One of my hopes is that it will not only be a good time to get some exercise, but that it will be one more way for me to spend time connecting with students.

Fridays at 11am don't work for everyone, but I was hopeful that today would be different - tomorrow is Homecoming at Northwest, which means today is Walk Out Day. Walk Out Day equals no classes, which I expect is a great thing to students and faculty alike. Since there are no classes to keep people away, today would be a great time to get all kinds of racquetball going on!

So as I'm walking to the rec center, I get a call from Michael - the rec center is closed today. Are you kidding me??? Does anyone else understand the logic of this? It seems to me that on a day when students have no other commitments, they would be MORE likely to use the facility, not less. I wonder what else on campus has been shut down...

It's not just that I've been inconvenienced - although that's certainly a big part of it - but I simply don't see the logic here. I'm not sure that anyone out there will even read this, but I'd be happy to hear any thoughts if you do.

1 comment:

Annointed1 said...

On top of of all that I was being rained on as I was running to both set of doors to make sure it was closed.