Friday, October 17, 2008

An Original Idea?

Sometimes my research consists of about twelve seconds on Google or Wikipedia, but I didn't find any references to this and I'd never heard of it before.

The other day Meghan suggested a new twist to a classic game. I don't know the last time I played checkers against anyone over the age of ten, although I'm sure there are people out there that still enjoy the game very much. But Meghan and I played a variation the other day that was a lot of fun and included a nice strategic element.

An explanation of the game may not even be necessary ... the name itself says it all: Capture the Flag Checkers. Each team has a flag (we used two small beads) that is captured by the first checker to cross the table and become a King. The game is won when the King (that one or another) returns the flag back to its original starting line. We didn't come across the issue of what happens to the flag if it's lost (ie the King is jumped and therefore is removed from the table) but I would suggest the flag stays in the same square and is recaptured when an opponent's piece enters or jumps over the square.

This completely changes the previous goal of checkers - eliminate all of your opponent's pieces - and therefore the way you play the game. I think it makes the game a lot more fun and I encourage you to give it a try!

Props to Meghan, who will turn ten on Monday!!

No comments: