Sunday, September 20, 2009

Conjugating 'Verbs: Speak the Truth

* This might turn out to be a regular series on my blog. I picked the name mainly just because it sounds cool, not because it ties directly into conjugation. The 'Verbs refers to the book of Proverbs in the Bible, which I return to often and love to meditate and reflect on. One definition of conjugation - in various disciplines - means to join together. I can easily justify that definition by the fact that these entries will join the Proverbs together with real life applications.

As one who regularly gets to speak and preach to others, I constantly face the temptation to worry about what others think and how well I do in presenting the information. This may have been further heightened by the fact that I'm beginning to try and develop speaking/preaching abilities in some of the guys at BSU. In doing that, I've been working through a list of questions to use when evaluating someone as they deliver a message. While I think that's important and will continue to work on developing both my and their skills in presenting a message, thinking too much about the delivery was once again leading me to forget what is most important for us in this arena.

While I've begun to read through Isaiah in the mornings, I'm continuing my habit of one chapter of Proverbs a day. This morning the Lord spoke very specifically to me about this issue. It's interesting how I got there, though, because I started out in chapter 20 - since today is September 20. Somehow when I turned the page to go from verse 3 to 4, I actually turned two pages and continued right along in Proverbs 23:4, so I didn't even notice. It wasn't until I was recapping the encounter with Karin that I realized I was in the wrong chapter. But it was where God wanted me to be.

Proverbs 23:15-16 says, "My son, if your heart is wise, then my heart will be glad; my inmost being will rejoice when your lips speak what is right."

That verse just hit me right between the eyes. Simply put, the most important thing for those speaking/preaching is whether or not they clearly proclaimed the word of God. That's what I'm focusing on this morning as I am about to head out the door and preach at First Baptist in Maryville. That's what I want to continue to focus on as I preach at the BSU and what I want to instill in the guys as they have opportunities to preach as well.

I still think it's important to do your best, to not present in such a way that you're actually a distraction to what God is trying to say. But hopefully I will be able to remember what's really important: that God's word is proclaimed and that He can speak through it regardless of how great of a presenter one is. I hope those of you that have the opportunity to teach God's word to others will remember that as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!