Thursday, September 17, 2009

Clear the Road!

As of yesterday, I've begun giving driving lessons to an international student that has almost zero experience. I've also agreed to help an American student log some time behind the wheel. He already has a good handle on how to drive and just needs some practice. Both students have their permits.

I myself went through driver's ed in high school and never went the "informal" training route. My dad taught both of my older brothers to drive, I guess they made him not want to go through that again =) I do have some information I've found online that's given me a general idea of how to proceed, but I wanted to see if anyone out there had any suggestions, comments, advice or warnings? Anybody taken this journey or been down this road before? (Both puns intended.)

1 comment:

Tim Dreyer said...

Don't forget to talk about pedestrians and Bicyclists. Of course, to me, bicyclists are the most important of the two! :D

Seriously though, it would probably be good to talk about the fact that bicycles are seen as equals on the road and that you should give at least 3'-0" of clearance any time you are passing. Also, the throwing of objects is not cool... ;)