Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Quick Prediction

The Chiefs just cut Surtain, Edwards and Huard - all moves I'm on board with. Now folks are wondering what they'll do with Larry Johnson and Tony Gonzalez. I'm sure they'll try to trade Johnson, although I don't see them getting much in return.

The real question is, "What happens with Gonzalez?" Will he be traded? He certainly has value, and might net the Chiefs a second or third round pick in the upcoming draft. With a new regime in place, it's understandable that they might cut ties with the past in an attempt to turn the page on the franchise and hopefully move it in a positive direction. Tony even requested to be traded last season.

That being said, I predict Tony will be a part of of the team next year. His departure might mean more talent on the defensive side of the ball, but I think he's more important than whoever that player might be. I have my doubts as to whether or not Tyler Thigpen will start on opening day (although I'm not against it!), but Tony is a great asset to any guy playing QB. I finally finished watching the first half of the Pro Bowl, and even the great Peyton Manning was looking for Tony G to pick up key receptions - which he did perfectly.

I have no idea what will happen, but I expect Tony to stay and retire as a Chief. Just wanted to get that out there in case he's part of a blockbuster trade tomorrow and I'm way off.

As you were.

No comments: