Thursday, February 19, 2009

Call me Curt

Since I got back from Turkey, Karin and I have been walking every week day at the community center. Right now we're knocking out about four miles a day, which seems pretty good to me. I've also started stretching my hamstrings (which I've been told are ridiculously tight and will cause me lots of problems in the future) so that's been good too.

The random thing I wanted to share today involves shoes. I bought some steel-toed waterproof shoes before going to Turkey, which has turned out to be a brilliant idea in light of winter weather. However, I still have to go back to my old tennis shoes when walking, playing racquetball or playing futsal. As it turns out, my old tennis shoes had seen the last of their days when the soles almost came off and nearly injured me.

Enter cool new shoes! It was a back-to-school style experience to get new shoes, and I'll admit I still had fun picking up a new pair on Sunday. I'll also admit that although a different pair might have been a slightly better fit, I picked the ones I did because they looked so much cooler. Genius.

So now I'm in the process of breaking in a new pair of shoes, which has had a very interesting side effect: the back of my right heel has been rubbed raw. It's just a small area, maybe the size of a dime. But yesterday I noticed it was becoming quite uncomfortable to walk - although I toughed it out anyway, I'm just that manly. But the best part of all was the red stain that I discovered on the rim of my shoe and that which caused it - a bloody sock.

For some reason it really made me happy, and I'm not even a Schilling fan.

1 comment:

marsha said...

Everyone takes notice when Jason gets new shoes. We should take pictures of them and document them somewhere.