Tuesday, April 09, 2013

For Beginners: How Hero Academy is Like Racquetball

One of the sports I enjoy playing is racquetball.  While there are some die hard players here on campus, I'd really like to play with my friends.  The dilemma that presents is that most of my friends have never played much - or ever!  And who can blame them?  Few kids grew up with a racquetball court in the driveway!

I didn't start playing until I got to college, and I've played off and on for the past 15+ years.*  The result is that I'm not necessarily an incredible player, but I am better than any of my beginner friends.  And I've discovered that if I go all out when I play them, they're probably never coming back.  So instead I make sure only to use easy serves or avoid going for kill shots.

* I decided to put a plus there because there's a great temptation to feel old when I think about how long ago college was.  Luckily working with college students helps keep me young!

The same principle applies to Hero Academy.  I've been playing this game for several months and would love for some of my friends to pick it up.  One of those friends that has started playing is my wife.  She doesn't want me to stomp her every game (pun intended) but she also doesn't want me to take it too easy on her.

It's important that I still play the game semi-seriously or she won't learn some of the more strategic nuances of the game.  And let's face it - the only way you really learn how to play is by playing.  Sure, I can try and explain every little detail I can think of, but we run into two problems there.  First off, I will inevitably forget something.  (And I mean forget, not "forget.")  Second, she's probably not going to remember all the information I blitzed her with anyway.  So instead, she can watch me spawn a Wraith on her freshly defeated character and ask me, "How did you do that?!"*

* One time I defeated a friend's unit with my Shoalin poisoner and then stomped the corpse with bamboo.  I'll never forget his incredulously response: "She can turn people into bamboo?!"

So, the question becomes how do you want to handicap yourself?  Personally, I've taken to only using sword upgrades on my healers.  That allows me to still demonstrate one of the best uses of a fireball (stomping units)* while still having to work hard to deal major damage.  This type of limitation definitely makes it harder to win with the Dark Elves!  I've even learned some new tactics in the process.

One of these priestesses has staff envy.  Her sword upgrade is on the way!

Don't let the pretty blonde hair fool you - this cleric means business!
The ways you could choose to limit yourself are practically endless.  Perhaps you only get to use 4 AP instead of 5.  Maybe you can stomp no more than one enemy unit per turn.  I'd love to hear some other ideas - especially if you've given them a try yourself!  Hero Academy is a great game and more people ought to be playing it.  With the right use of personal handicaps, I think you would be able to get some new friends hooked on this great strategic game!

No comments: